Paralympics 2016 GK Questions
The 15th Rio 2016 Paralympics Games 2016 begins on September 7 and will go on till 18 September. More than 4342 athletes from 159 National Paralympics Committees, will compete for 528 events in 22 Olympic sports.Following are some facts and important points about Rio Paralympics 2016 which will be very important for various competitive exams.
- The opening ceremony of 2016 Rio Paralympics was held - Maracana Stadium
- 2016 Rio Paralympics cauldron was lit by - Brazilian para-swimmer Clodoaldo Silva
- On 17 September 2016 First instance of a death in Paralympics competition occurred during the men's C4-5 road cycling event, Iranian cyclist Bahman Golbarnejhad crashed on a "mountainous stretch". The previous competition death during the Olympic Games was that of Danish cyclist Knud Enemark Jensen at a time trial in the 1960 Summer Olympics.
- The two new sports for 2016 Rio Paralympics Games are :- canoeing and the paratriathlon.
- What is motto of Rio Paralympics 2016 - A new world (Portuguese: Um mundo novo)
- Official mascot of Rio Paralympics 2016 - Tom
- Largest Paralympics team of 2016 Rio Paralympics is - China (308 athletes)
- China was top in medal tally having total 239 medals ( 117 Gold, 81 Silver, 51 Bronze )
- Next Summer Paralympics 2020, the 16th edition of the international multi-sports event, will be held in Tokyo (japan) from 25 August to 6 September 2020.
- Total number of athletes from India in Rio Paralympics 2016 - 19 athletes(16 Men & 3 Women) for 5 sports.
- India’s flag bearer during parade at at 2016 Rio Paralympics opening ceremony was - Devendra Jhajharia
- India’s flag bearer during parade at 2016 Rio Paralympics closing ceremony – Mariyappan Thangavelu
- India capped off a successful Paralympics Games campaign in Rio de Janeiro by procuring their best ever haul of 4 medals, including 2 golds and 1 silver and 1 bronze medal apiece.
- Mariyappan Thangavelu got Gold medal in Men's High Jump.
- Devendra Jhajharia got gold medal in Men's Javelin Throw.
- Deepa Malik got silver medal in Women's Shot Put.
- Varun Singh Bhati got Bronze medal in Men's High Jump